Sunday, December 28, 2014

6 weeks

Hopefully the end is near!! Emerson is now up to 4lb 3 oz. This week he was moved to the "well child" side of the NICU which means that other babies need more care than him. He is feeding from a bottle twice a day while his other feeding are still being administered through a tube. It uses a lot of calories to feed with a nipple so the nurses are making him rest so he can gain weight. He will need to take all of his feedings with a nipple before he can go home.

This week he also moved out of his isolate and in to an open crib. It is a great sign that he is holding his own body temperature.

Sophia met her brother for the first time this week and it was magical moment. She loves hugging him and is constantly trying to hold him. When we got back to the house she grabbed her sippy cup and practiced swaddling and feeding her babies. Dropping her and daddy off at the airport was one of the toughest moments to date.

Today I woke with a feeling if yuck. Not the type of yuck from the flu but the kind of yuck that you feel when your faith is being tested.... I recently heard the saying, "if you want to hear God laugh tell him your plans." The last 6 weeks I have been trusting....and then trusting...and then trusting some more. Emerson is an amazing miracle that only God himself could have orchestrated yet today I woke up wanting to go to the hospital, get my baby, and GO HOME!! I came close to throwing myself on the floor like a 2 year old but instead I had some quiet time and this is what I read...God is your refuge and STRENGTH, an ever-present help in trouble. I read the word strength and burst in to tears. I need STRENGTH that only HE can provide for me at this point. Only HE knows when we are going home and HE has the perfect plan in place. The tantrum still sounds inviting but I am close to bringing our son home so for today I will put my big girl pants back on and continue to trust!

2 comments:

  1. What great strides Emerson has made! The light is at the end of the tunnel and soon Emerson and you will be home. Continue to trust in God's plans and you know what, it is okay to have a meltdown. You have been through much and some times a good healthy cry is needed to release the stress and worry. And then you put back on your big girl panties and carry on. You are doing great Kelly! Soon, very soon you will all be together...at home! Arms round Kelly!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Kelly, it was so nice to meet you while in the NICU. We are praying for your family and that you and Emerson will be home soon. We are out of the hospital and waiting for ICPC to come through. It was inspiring to read your adoption story and the reminders to trust God through the whole process. :) Blessings to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete